Investing time and resources in your annual board retreat will help you create a board culture that values self-examination and continues improvement. But if you don’t take the time to thoughtfully plan the retreat it can lead to a boring and frustrating experience for your board members. Deciding on clear objectives is the first step in creating an engaging and effective retreat.
The following are some questions to consider as you begin to plan for your retreat.
- What type of training would be the most helpful in preparing the board as we move into the future?
- Do we need to update our strategic plan?
- Should we review and update our board committees?
- What issues, challenges or opportunities do we need to discuss with the board and get feedback or a decision?
- Do we need to discuss board development, recruitment or fundraising?
- Do we need to build trust and relationships?
JPS can help you create a board retreat that is interesting and energizes your board.
I will help you:
- Identify and clarify your retreat objectives
- Create a process that is fun and targets your key objectives
- Identify and/or develop materials that will enhance your retreat
- Provide facilitation that enables everyone to be engaged and heard
- Create exercises that help board members build relationships and trust
- Manage your budget by offering a cost that is affordable
Let’s schedule a call to explore how I can help you with your next board retreat.