St. Vincent de Paul
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul – Cincinnati District Council (SVDP) has been providing innovative and practical basic needs assistance and systemic change advocacy for Cincinnati residents in need for 150 years.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul – Cincinnati District Council (SVDP) has been providing innovative and practical basic needs assistance and systemic change advocacy for Cincinnati residents in need for 150 years. The organization works personally with those in need, regardless of race or creed, to bridge the gaps in their lives through home visits provided by neighborhood-based volunteer groups (Vincentians in Conferences); groundbreaking Outreach Center initiatives like the Charitable Pharmacy and Homelessness Prevention program; a network of 12 food pantries; and seven thrift stores across Cincinnati. SVDP has an immediate opportunity for a Social Services Advocate to play an integral role in providing services and uplifting engagement to our neighbors 6 days a week.
Job Title: Social Services Advocate (with Bilingual Spanish fluency)
____ Exempt __X_ Non-Exempt
(40 hours per week, Monday-Saturday)
Reports To: Bank Street Social Services Team Manager
Scope of Position: The Social Services Advocate is the primary contact person for those requesting services from the organization. Engagement, assessment, eligibility determination, gathering documentation and service delivery are principle functions. Engaging neighbors to develop a holistic plan that incorporates help from SVDP with resources available through other agencies or individuals to address their needs is another critical function. The team member must be able to: 1) build relationships with neighbors in need, using a strengths-based approach to help them recognize and utilize their personal strengths and resources; 2) promote systemic change; & 3) adhere to SVDP’s policies and procedures to ensure program sustainability. This team member must consistently model the mission and values of St. Vincent de Paul.
- Participate as a member of the SVDP Social Services team and positively interact with Council members and staff
- Be the point of contact for Family Housing Partnership (FHP) clients, responding to service requests from families who have exited services within the Family Housing Partnership, as well as requests that come in person or online
- Provide a report every six months regarding: the number of households referred for Emergency Assistance from FHP partners; the number of households that received services broken out by key services (i.e. financial assistance, food); and identify households to enable Strategies to End Homelessness to produce recidivism reports
- Engage neighbors seeking assistance, either by walk-in or appointment, to holistically assess overall situation, eligibility for assistance and provide appropriate SVDP assistance and referrals as necessary
- Assess and respond, as necessary, to needs of neighbors presenting critical situations at any time during business hours
- Prepare case notes; develop and maintain paper files; and enter required neighbor related data accurately into our case management system
- Participate in selection process used to identify requests for rent and utility assistance to receive funding
- Know and understand how to access assistance from community resources as appropriate to address needs presented by neighbors
- Assist Call Center with harvesting calls from and engaging with Hispanic neighbors; provide team members with guidance to provide assistance to these neighbors
- Lead/participate in special projects as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: College degree is required. Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, or related fields preferred. Bilingual Spanish required. Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate well orally and in writing; commitment to detail and documentation; project management skills; ability to work under pressure; and a comfort in engaging with people of different cultural and economic backgrounds in a faith-based setting are necessary.
Work Environment: Office Environment – Adequately lighted, heated and ventilated.
Physical Requirements: Job duties can primarily be performed from a desk; however there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying light items up to 35 lbs; driving an automobile.
Mission: A network of neighbors, inspired by Gospel values, growing in holiness and building a more just world through personal relationships with and services to people in need.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to forward cover letter, resume & compensation expectations to email@example.com. Thank you.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org