Now in its 25th year, ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that has pioneered public art and economic impact throughout the region with a mission to transform people and places through investments in creativity.
ArtWorks, an equal opportunity employer, is strongly committed to building and retaining a diverse team that creates an inclusive workplace, which harnesses each voice to collectively advance ArtWorks’ mission.
Job Title: Senior Director, Advancement
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Employee benefits package includes health insurance including vision and dental, generous paid time off, and 401k plan.
Salary range: $80,000 – $90,000
Location: ArtWorks Administrative Office, 2460 Gilbert Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45206
Reports to: CEO & Artistic Director
Start date: ASAP
About ArtWorks: Now in its 25th year, ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that has pioneered public art and economic impact throughout the region with a mission to transform people and places through investments in creativity. ArtWorks co-creates public art with community leaders that builds civic pride and beautifies the region, creating jobs for more than 300 artists annually, including youth ages 14-21, to earn a living wage. The economic empowerment and mentorship that ArtWorks provides leads to upward mobility, which is critically important for youth who come from a majority of underserved households and who are underemployed. Since 1996, ArtWorks has employed nearly 4,000 youth and 3,500 creative professionals. The organization has completed more than 14,000 public and private art works of art, including public sculpture, light-based installations and more than 200 permanent outdoor murals, contributing to the region’s global reputation as an arts destination. Now headquartered in Walnut Hills, ArtWorks is part of the burgeoning arts district in Cincinnati’s historic second downtown. Learn more at artworkscincinnati.org.
ArtWorks seeks a Senior Director of Advancement to lead strategy, planning and execution for successful fundraising and development activities to advance our mission to transform people and places through investments in creativity.
This is an exciting opportunity to impact an amazing organization and support its growth, building on its strategic plan. This role is a core leader in the organization, a member of the senior leadership team and an important face of the organization. This role will direct and grow an advancement department (currently a team of two with a supporting Development Manager/Grantwriter), as well as work closely with the CEO and board members to build a revenue generating program of $2MM+ annually. This position plans fundraising objectives for the organization, setting 3 year + strategic goals. Consistent engagement and outreach efforts will be required to build and sustain new and existing donor relationships.
The ideal candidate will be independent, proactive and love relationship building. This individual will be a key spokesperson and influencer across ArtWorks leadership team and constituents. This role will take strategic leadership and tactical ownership over corporate, foundation, individual, and government funding sources at ArtWorks. She/he/they will be responsible for writing high-quality and compelling correspondence, letters of inquiry, proposals, and supporting review for grants and grant reports for all institutional funders.
The ideal candidate will be mission-loving with a heart for making a tremendous impact on the community, youth and the arts.
- Serve as key leader in external facing role building relationships and support for growth of organization and to sustain mission
- A member of the executive leadership team collaborating closely with Board of Directors, Development Committee, Executive Leaders, Directors, Staff and Volunteers
- Manage, recruit and train Advancement Staff to accomplish department goals
- Develop and ensure successful implementation of development plan with the highest ethical standards
- Monitor trends in the community and sector to adapt fundraising strategies as necessary; maintain professional fundraising networks for continued learning
- Serve as an ambassador of the organization to donors, attending the organization’s events and cultivation meetings and other events; build relationships with community leaders and stakeholders
- Create and deliver compelling presentations to help elevate awareness of ArtWorks among key audiences
- Create and collaborate with Finance for an annual revenue budget with supporting strategies and 3-year revenue target with ongoing monitoring and regular updates.
- Lead new revenue initiatives for the organization, including planned giving and $2MM + capital campaign
- Build and grow earned income and other lines of business
- Develop plans to identify, cultivate, solicit, secure and steward gifts; determine and deliver donor benefits
- Plan fundraising events with committee leadership and direct all areas of execution
- Lead identification and cultivation of corporate partners and individual prospects with major gift capacity
- Ensure timely and accurate donor gift acknowledgment and recognition benefits
Qualifications and experiences:
- Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, vision, values, culture and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility Plan
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required in arts administration, marketing, business, or another related field
- Minimum 5 years of professional development experience
- Successful track record of grantwriting and foundation giving
- Experience with capital campaigns and securing major gifts
- Successful track record of managing and developing employees
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships with diverse groups externally and internally
- Experience managing budgets, assigning, and monitoring work, and developing departmental plans in alignment with organizational strategy
- Experience with Event planning and management
- Experience in strategic planning, assessment and evaluation and innovation in fundraising sector
- Must be willing and able to attend evening and weekend arts or community events
Skills and abilities:
- Outstanding verbal and written presentation, communication and marketing skills
- Ability to interact confidently and persuasively with leaders in business, individuals and foundations
- Sophisticated user and interpreter of data; ability to synthesize and analyze data to tell an impact story
- Balance big picture strategy and manage detailed execution with high degree of accountability and excellence in quality of work
- Agile leader with strong interpersonal and culture-building skills to help guide and influence organizational growth, building strong positive working relationships both internally and externally
- Adhere to ethical behavior and business practices; ensure team behavior is consistent with these standards
- Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to exceed their expectations
- Assess situations to determine priority and make clear recommendations and/or decisions that are timely and in the best interest of the organization
- Creative, flexible and innovative, with proven ability to design and implement new initiatives.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce as well as proficiency with digital grant making databases, research tools and information management systems
- Be part of an amazing mission and make a mark in transforming the Greater Cincinnati region with public art, building community, and investing in young artists.
- Help build a future home for ArtWorks with a site for permanent art studios, gallery, and event space to build a more vibrant community.
- Be part of a dynamic leadership team that embraces a growth mindset.
- Build and grow an advancement team.
- Be part of a collaborative, creative and flexible work culture that is people centered.
- Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in community-centered work that creates positive change. Read our full commitment here.
To Apply: Click Here with cover letter, resume and references.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.