The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County seeks an experienced, innovative, energetic leader as the Lifelong Learning Manager; reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, serving lifelong learners of all ages in Hamilton County. The Library offers a community-minded diverse and inclusive work environment. A robust benefits package will be provided that includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage, as well as competitive paid time off and Ohio Public Employees retirement plan.
Sets overall vision and direction for lifelong learning
- Translates the Library’s strategic goals and priorities into relevant, inclusive and creative services and programs that support lifelong learning for new and existing audiences of all ages.
- Develops, executes and evaluates a robust year-round menu of mission driven programs that meet the needs of Hamilton County residents.
- Employs a universal design approach to programs and services, ensuring that programmatic experiences are designed with inclusion in mind.
- Develops a vision and multi-year plan that sets the direction for the planning, presentation and evaluation of system-wide adult, teen and children’s services and programs.
- Sets and monitors lifelong learning service and programming standards and performance measurements for the system.
- Organizes and participates in planning teams for system-wide lifelong learning services and programs.
- Regularly evaluates existing, and when needed, recommends updates to policies and procedures and/or the creation of new policies or procedures to ensure effective and efficient planning, delivery and evaluation of lifelong learning services and programs.
- Conducts periodic environmental scans to identify lifelong learning opportunities internally and externally.
- Utilizes outcome-based planning and evaluation.
- Evaluates the return on investment and mission value of all lifelong learning educational offerings.
- Works with Data Analyst to set strategy for collecting, sharing and analyzing data relating to lifelong learning activities.
- Analyzes data, reads reports and research, and follows news and trends – technological, social, demographic, etc. to identify where the Library can add value to the community and better serve county residents in their pursuit of lifelong learning opportunities.
- Uses equity, diversity and inclusion as a lens to identify and pursue services, initiatives, and programs that address the community’s lifelong learning needs, especially those of vulnerable and/or underserved populations.
Coordinates support for library agencies
- Works collaboratively with Service Operations to provide support for staff who organize lifelong learning services and programs via all Library locations, including identifying and vetting potential presenters and coordinating program evaluation.
- Provides support and feedback to staff, agency managers and regional managers through regular communication, on-site observations, project plans, etc.
- Oversees the evaluation, acquisition, distribution, and maintenance of equipment used for Library services and programs.
- Facilitates regular system-wide meetings for and with staff related to lifelong learning activities and services for community members of all ages.
- Works with HR to develop and provide ongoing professional development opportunities for staff on topics related to lifelong learning by leveraging professional development best practices such as: establishing communities of practice, peer-to-peer learning, scaffolded learning, and opportunities to practice new skills in a real-world setting.
- Works with the Customer Experience Manager to identify and prioritize community member needs as they relate to lifelong learning.
- Encourages staff to be forward-thinking, try new ideas, experiment with new practices, and to embrace change.
Aligns resources to support lifelong learning efforts
- Determines resource needs for each project, including staffing and financial resources.
- Identifies potential grant funding or monetary sources, in cooperation with the Chief Strategy Officer, to support lifelong learning initiatives, and contributes to grant proposal preparation as appropriate.
- Builds and maintains key partnerships with other staff and agencies to maximize resources.
- Facilitates and promotes the use of system resources and services through communication with Library agencies.
- Regularly monitors agency budget and communicates with the Chief Strategy Officer and Fiscal Officer.
Community awareness and engagement
- Works proactively and collaboratively with Marketing to build community awareness about lifelong learning services and programs, including providing content and input to Library publications, communications for the public, website and social media.
- Works with the Civic Engagement Manager, Outreach staff, and other relevant staff to cultivate mutually beneficial community relationships and partnerships that assist with advancing key components of the Library’s Strategic Plan and priorities as they relate to lifelong learning efforts.
- Solicits and applies feedback from the community to inform and improve lifelong learning services and programs.
- Supervises agency staff, including: 1) assigning and evaluating work; 2) working with HR to interview, hire and on-board new staff; 3) conducting annual performance reviews for staff and providing feedback on job performance to staff throughout the year; and 4) periodically evaluating and updating position description documents as needed.
- Serve as a leader and mentor to agency staff, including: 1) recognizing achievements; 2) providing guidance to help staff grow professionally; and 3) addressing staff issues/conflicts, working with HR as needed.
- Helps staff understand their connectedness to the overall Library system as well as embed the Library mission, vision and values into their work.
- Manages program planning, logistics, schedules, materials and recordkeeping.
- Provides narrative and statistical reports that demonstrate agency impact and inform decision making and planning.
- Works with agency staff to set, execute, monitor and evaluate annual goals for the agency.
- As needed, creates and documents processes, as well as resources and tools for agency staff to use in support of lifelong learning-related initiatives.
- Attends and participates in Library manager meetings.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum three years of program development and project management experience, including the ability to 1) develop a project plan that includes clear goals, strategies, tactics and outcomes; 2) monitor progress and use an iterative approach to implementation; and 3) track results.
- 3 – 5 years of management experience preferred, including knowledge of best practices for supervision and staff development.
- Knowledge of best and emerging practices in planning, delivering and evaluating lifelong learning efforts.
- Knowledge of best and emerging practices in planning, delivering and evaluating staff continuing education opportunities.
- Proven innovative skills in program development, execution and evaluation.
- Knowledge of universal design and its application to designing inclusive services and programs.
- Takes initiative, is futures-focused and works well in a fast-paced environment.
- Models appropriate behavior and displays commitment to the Library’s mission, vision and values.
- Skill in analyzing situations, policies, and financial data to define opportunities and challenges and formulate creative, logical, objective solutions.
- Thorough understanding of Library objectives and priorities, and the ability to develop agency plans that will help achieve these goals.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests, able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supportive to help others succeed.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with individuals of varying ages, abilities, and backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing, including formal communications and making presentations.
- Ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant.
- Willingness to seek out new methods and principles and incorporate them into existing practices.
- Willingness to participate in professional associations, and continuing education programs, and local, regional and national dialogue to keep abreast of changes in planning, delivering and evaluating lifelong learning research and best practices.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Valid driver’s license.
JOB LOCATION: Cincinnati, OH, United States
Undergraduate degree required in a relevant area of study.
Master’s degree preferred in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited college or university, or in related field.
HOURS: 40 hours per week
SALARY: Grade 10: $59,633.60 annual
DEADLINE: Until Filled
For more information, and to apply, visit http://newton.newtonsoftware.com/career/JobIntroduction.action?clientId=8a78826755712ad4015573d869f00055&id=8a78839f6eaa3aab016eade2d5f74e3b&specialization=8a7885a8626f6eee0162aac7bf591eae&source=.
To apply for this job please visit newton.newtonsoftware.com.