Working in Neighborhoods
Job Title: Financial Literacy- Homeownership Counselor
Our agency is a mission-oriented non-profit organization offering a fast-paced, dynamic professional work environment focused on assisting our clients. We employ individuals with a strong commitment to excellence, a collaborative nature, and the desire to make a difference.
The Housing Counselor/Financial Coach with clients via phone, virtual platforms, in person and email to establish tailored, personal goals and assist the client towards attainment of those personal goals. The Counselor will work with people of diverse and varied socioeconomic backgrounds and provide instruction and guidance on topics related to personal finances. The Counselor will assist clients to gain the knowledge, capacity, and tools to make sound financial decisions, understand credit, build savings, and reduce debt. Additionally, the Counselor will work with aspiring homeowners to equip them with the skills, knowledge, and relevant information to pursue the homebuying process. The Counselor will provide comprehensive individual counseling regarding home purchasing or assist a client to prevent foreclosure by coaching them through obstacles in financial situations, credit scores and budgeting. The Counselor will work with clients to develop personal corrective action plans after analyzing the clients’ overall financial situation.
- Build relationships with clients to set goals and provide ongoing support to achieve set goals.
- Conduct one-on-one counseling sessions with clients related to housing, financials, budgeting, credit, etc. either on the telephone, virtually or in person.
- Work with clients to create and follow a budget and track expenditures.
- Educate clients about consumer credit issues and assist in the development of a plan to resolve issues, as necessary.
- Provide guidance to clients about debt management.
- Prepare first-time homebuyers for home purchase and assess readiness to buy by planning, organizing, and facilitating homebuyer education class curriculum and providing individual comprehensive home ownership counseling.
- Counsel and assist existing homeowners to maintain their homeownership.
- Provide comprehensive foreclosure counseling services.
- Be familiar with local financing programs.
Training Events and Workshops:
- Plan, organize and facilitate pre-purchase homebuyer education, post-purchase, and foreclosure prevention workshops.
- Conduct community outreach and marketing for workshops.
- Secure and orient appropriate speakers for trainings and workshops.
- Attend or speak at community events to promote services.
File Maintenance & Reporting:
- Create and maintain hard copy and electronic files for each client, including all necessary and required forms and documentation, monitor client progress, and assist in mandatory reporting documentation.
- Complete accurate and timely appropriate statistical reports to include information regarding counseling services and outcome data to ensure that documentation is accurate, complete, timely and satisfies all requirements and parameters of programs/services offered.
- Learn and work with our current Client Management System, keeping electronic files in compliance with oversight requirements.
- Current housing counseling certification and/or credit counseling certification preferred.
- Financial/Housing Counseling experience preferred.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish language fluency) preferred.
- Two or more years of experience in financial industry or counseling.
- Knowledge of credit reporting, financial products, lending products and mortgages preferred.
- Basic proficiency with Zoom or other virtual platforms, Teams, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook & web-based data bases.
- Ability to work on projects independently with strong personal organization.
- Ability to work some weekends and early evening hours.
- Ability to work with people of diverse and varying socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to travel within the Greater Cincinnati area and occasionally out of state.
- Ability to obtain the following training and certifications within the first 12 months of employment.
Neighborworks Counseling Certification – within 3-6 months
HUD Housing Counselor Certification – within the first 9 months.
- Ability to lift and/or carry up to 10 lbs. up to 10% of the time.
- Ability to sit at, read and enter data on computer for prolonged periods of time.
Apply to: Hope Wilson firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com