Union Institute & University
Founded in 1964 against the backdrop of the Civil Rights Movement, Union Institute & University was founded to engage, enlighten and empower highly motivated adults to realize their professional ambitions and pursue a lifetime marked by social responsibility, service and continuous learning.
POSITION TITLE: Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Union Institute & University
LOCATION: Cincinnati, Ohio
- Does academic excellence, social justice, and diversity ignite your passion?
- Do you enjoy evaluating and implementing new business initiatives?
- Do you enjoy leading change?
- Do you relish working with leaders in their fields who respect you as a leader in yours’?
Founded in 1964 against the backdrop of the Civil Rights Movement, Union Institute & University (Union; https://myunion.edu/) was founded to engage, enlighten and empower highly motivated adults to realize their professional ambitions and pursue a lifetime marked by social responsibility, service and continuous learning. A pioneer in adult learning, non-profit Union perfected concepts now common in higher education such as the hybrid blend of online and traditional classroom instruction, interdisciplinary study and student-centered education with socially relevant and applicable learning outcomes.
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, Union offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree on-line and from its Academic Centers and Branches in Cincinnati, California and Florida. Union is especially renowned for its well-established programs in criminal justice, psychology, social work, and health care administration. In 2018, The Union Institute for Social Justice was formalized https://myunion.edu/socialjustice. It is Ohio’s only Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI).
Reporting to the President as part of the senior leadership team, the CFO will lead a Controller and a team of 5 professionals responsible for all financial, accounting, risk management and facility affairs of Union.
The CFO will be a hands-on, collaborative advisor to the President, Board of Trustees and her (his) peers and colleagues throughout the organization. While this is a full-scope CFO responsibility, what especially distinguishes this opportunity is active participation in shaping strategy, building a robust and widely understood financial planning regimen, and hands-on involvement in evaluating and implementing new business initiatives consistent with Union’s mission.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and execute financial strategy
- Provide advice and guidance to the senior leadership team, the Board of Trustees and President on financial matters; propose action plans
- Provide financial analysis and decision support and regarding new investments and business opportunities
- Help senior leadership identify new funding opportunities; draft programmatic budgets and determine financial viability of prospective service delivery
- Attend Board and Committee meetings; serve as staff lead on Audit and Finance committees
- Ensure a sound internal control environment and maintain compliance with accrediting agencies, federal, state and local laws
- Ensure accurate, timely and fully transparent financial reporting to all constituents
- Monitor cash flow; oversee cash management activities, forecasts and banking relationships
- Oversee purchasing activity, accounts payable and receivable, insurance, leases and property maintenance/safety
- Oversee compliance and quality service to students regarding their financial transactions with the university.
IDEAL CANDIDATES’ QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- MBA (or related graduate degree) or CPA strongly preferred
- Ten years + progressive financial management experience, preferably in a higher education setting
- Evidence of financial leadership and solid strategic acumen
- Track record and evident passion for leading change and developing staff
- Prior experience with government contracts/grants preferred
IDEAL COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Connection with Union’s mission and embrace of its values
- Entrepreneurial and open-minded; change is viewed as opportunity
- Proactive initiator, but collaborative problem solver
- Humility, humor and optimism
- A natural teacher (of peers, staff) and excellent communicator
- Ability to scale focus frequently between strategic and tactical issues
- Intellectually curious
Satisfaction in being entrepreneurial and elevating a mission-driven organization dedicated to improving social equity by advancing the education and lives of working adults!
- In addition to competitive compensation, a strong benefits package and unlimited PTO is offered.
- Significant reduction in tuition for you, spouse and dependents.
- Some relocation assistance will be available.
For Further Information Contact:
Michele Plessinger (firstname.lastname@example.org; 513-842-5321)
Or Rick Maier (email@example.com; 513-842-5313)
To apply on-line: https://gilmanpartners.com/current-searches/union-institute-cfo.html
To apply for this job please visit gilmanpartners.com.